Friday, April 24, 2015

Five Minute Friday

Inspired by Abbey's always-artistic style of writing, I decided to emerge from my winter blogging hibernation and participate in a new link-up.   So this is me putting myself out there, my very first appearance at Kate's site...which is ironic because the theme for today's Five-Minute-Friday is...

HIDE.

Hiding in the Loud

The other night I was lamenting to my husband at how I can never seem to have anything complete: there is always unfolded laundry, the kitchen is still somehow dirty (even though I felt like I was stuck there all day cleaning), I haven’t gotten a chance to exercise, and there are toys everywhere (even though I barked at the kids to help clean up).  And then he gave me a little gem of wisdom:
“It is not about managing four little kids, it’s about creating a home.”

For a minute I started to get it.

And here I am feeling completely lost again, trying to figure this formula out.  The kids are literally running back and forth in our playroom area.  One is dressed, another is half-dressed (pants are optional), and one is still in her pajama’s.  I would like to have lunch.  Do I go into drill instructor mode, ordering them to get dressed and get downstairs?  Do I let them continue to run wild, allowing them to play and be happy, and setting my agenda aside for a little longer?

As Bambi announces to his mom, “Winter sure is long, isn’t it, Mother.” 


Please help me to navigate this impossible ebb and flow of quotidian life, this managing vs. creating.  

4 comments:

  1. Good job! And I hear ya. I homeschool, so you would think it would be easier, but when they put off doing their chores, and we don't start school until 10 or 10:30, I just want to start the day over again. If you can let them play, I say play. Part of making a home is having a safe place to grow up. Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job.

    Hugs,
    Melinda
    (visiting from FMF)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I also lean towards letting them play vs. demanding my own agenda. But it's still hard not to let the temporary noise, and the mess get to me. Ah well. Happy kids are a blessing!

      Delete
  2. YES YES YES! I love how down to earth and practical this post of yours is :) Letting go of the perfection mode or persona can be hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I often have to remind myself, it's just noise, and it's just stuff. Behind it all are happy kids.

      Delete