Monday, August 4, 2014

Feeding Four Under Four: Kale Chips

In this part of my blog, I’d love to share some quick tricks and ideas I've gained from cooking for our family of four little ones.  Feeding my family nutritious food and teaching them good eating habits is a priority, but I also want my meals to made quickly and efficiently.  I am not an expert in the kitchen by any means (that would be my dad, the professional chef), but I do hope to inspire your own cooking and perhaps give you some quick fixes.  I know I love new meal ideas!


Dinner tonight featured a new menu item: kale chips.  Admittedly, I was skeptical to try the recipe from a friend at a recent potluck BBQ.  Yes, I’ve heard that kale is apparently the newest wonder food (like spinach, only better), and I’ve even cooked with it before in a simple sauté of olive oil and garlic.  But let’s face it: it’s a leafy vegetable.  How much different can it taste from spinach or lettuce? 

Prepared the right way, it can be downright tasty!  It was super easy too.

Kale Chips: (prep 5 min, cooking time 10-12)
Rinse the kale and cut the leafy part from the thick stem in the middle.
Place the kale on a baking sheet, sprinkle a little salt (I used sea salt) and drizzle some olive oil on top.
Bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Lightly toss the kale on the baking sheet, and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
Bake for 1-2 more minutes.


And that’s it!  The texture of the kale turns dry and crispy, and the salt flavor does resemble a chip or a cracker.  There is still a vegetable-like flavor, but it is certainly not overpowering like some greens can be.  Crispy, light, salty, and all from a leafy green!  Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment